This page presents a linked list of introductory material in academic writing, peer-reviewed encyclopedia articles and starting-points for bibliography in the discipline of ancient Mediterranean philosophy. More resources will be posted in due course.
- General resources on academic writing
- UBC Writing Centre tutorials and links, including contact information for free student tutorials at UBC.
- How to write a philosophy essay? With annotated example.
- What Makes a Good Essay? From Language and Learning Online. Good starting resource. (See left sidebar for more).
- How to form a research question, and how to form a thesis statement.
- Academic writing in English, from Using English for Academic Purposes.
- Academic skills in philosophy, from the UBC Department of Philosophy.
- Common citation styles (bibliography) and how to use them
- Beginning your research
- Exam Study Suggestions
- Peter Adamson, History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps [Free, online podcast introducing and surveying each figure and school of ancient Greek and Roman philosophy].
- Methodological surveys of the discipline of Greek philosophy
- Michael Frede, "Introduction: The Study of Ancient Philosophy," in Essays in Ancient Philosophy (University of Minnesota Press, 1987). [Overview of the discipline and methods of ancient philosophy. Online access via UBC Library].
- Julia Annas, "Ancient Philosophy for the Twenty-First Century," in B. Leiter (ed.), The Future for Philosophy (OUP, 2004). [Survey and discussion of the practice of ancient philosophy in the twentieth century with a focus on the Anglo-American, analytical tradition, looking forward to the next century. Online PDF via OUP].
- David Sedley, The Cambridge Companion to Greek and Roman Philosophy (CUP, 2003).
- A (very select!) list of Greek philosophical terms.
- R. McKirahan, Philosophy Before Socrates (Hackett, 2010), 2nd ed. Full text online (UBC login required).
- D. W. Graham and P. Curd (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Presocratic Philosophy (Oxford, 2008). Full text online (UBC login required).
- P. Curd, "Presocratic Philosophy", in The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2011). Full text online.
- A.A. Long, The Cambridge Companion to Early Greek Philosophy (CUP, 1999).
- Thales (IEP)
- Anaximander (IEP)
- Pythagoras (SEP)
- Parmenides (SEP)
- Heraclitus (SEP)
- Empedocles (SEP)
- D. Morrison, The Cambridge Companion to Socrates (2011).
- R. Blondell, The Play of Character in Plato's Dialogues (CUP, 2002). [Online via UBC Library]
- D. Nails, "Socrates" (SEP).
- Gareth Matthews, "The Epistemology and Metaphysics of Socrates", in G. Fine (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Plato (OUP, 2008). [Online via UBC Library]
- Daniel Devereux, "Socratic Ethics and Moral Psychology", in G. Fine (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Plato (OUP, 2008). [Online via UBC Library]
- Peer-reviewed encyclopedia articles on Plato
- G. Fine (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Plato (Oxford, 2008), online with full text via the UBC Library.
- Peter Adamson's introduction to Plato's life and work (podcast at The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps)
- R. Kraut, The Cambridge Companion to Plato (CUP, 1993).
A selection of peer-reviewed encylopedia articles on individual topics in Plato, with references
- Plato's Shorter Ethical Works (i.e., focusing on the 'early' or 'Socratic' dialogues)
- Plato's Ethics: An Overview
- Plato on Friendship and Erōs
- Ethics and Politics in the Republic
- See Julia Annas, Platonic Ethics: Old and New (Cornell UP, 1999), ch. 4 and course lecture notes for the view that the Republic is not strictly speaking a political treatise.
- Metaphysics, Science and Epistemology
- Plato's Middle Period Metaphysics and Epistemology
- Plato on Knowledge in the Theaetetus
- Method and Metaphysics in Plato's Sophist and Statesman
- Plato's Parmenides
- Plato's Timaeus (physics, metaphysics)
- Plato's Cratylus(correctness of names)
- Political Thought
- Plato's Aesthetics
- Plato's way of writing, literary aspects of his thought, and relationship to contemporary artists
- Some related figures and legacy
- Socrates (teacher)
- Aristotle (pupil at the Academy and founder of the Lyceum)
- Parmenides, Heraclitus and Pythagoras (intellectual ancestors)
- Legacy in Platonism
- Immediate successors (Speusippus, Xenocrates): see J. Dillon, The Heirs of Plato (OUP; full text online via UBC Library)
- Later (Middle) Platonists in the early Roman Empire: see J. Dillon, The Middle Platonists (1977 or 1999) and Peter Adamson on Middle Platonism with bibliography
- Neoplatonism: see Peter Adamson's introductory entries on Plotinus with bibliography (episode 87 and following)
Plato's Dialogues: Alternative Translations
- A list of translations maintained by Bernard Suzanne
- Aristotle (SEP)
- C. Shields, The Oxford Handbook of Aristotle (OUP, 2012).
- Themes in Aristotle
- Aristotle's Ethics (SEP)
- Aristotle's Political Theory (SEP)
- Aristotle's Psychology (SEP)
- Aristotle's Logic (SEP)
- Aristotle's Rhetoric (SEP)
- Aristotle's Categories (SEP)
- Aristotle's Metaphysics (SEP)
- Aristotle on Non-Contradiction (SEP)
- Aristotle on Causality (SEP)
- Aristotle and Mathematics (SEP)
- Aristotle's Natural Philosophy (Physics) (SEP)
- Aristotle's Biology (SEP)
- Commentators on Aristotle (SEP)
- Aristotelianism in the Renaissance (SEP)
- Aristotle's Theology (SEP)
- Monte Johnson, Aristotle on Teleology (OUP, 2005). [Online access via UBC Library].
- Algra, Barnes, Mansfeld and Schofield (eds.), The Cambridge History of Hellenistic Philosophy [Online access via UBC]
- Stoicism (SEP)
- Chrysippus (IEP)
- Brad Inwood (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics [Online access via UBC]
- Lives of the Stoics by Diogenes Laertius [Translation by Yonge 1895]
- Epicurus (SEP)
- Lucretius (IEP)
- James Warren (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Epicureanism (2009).
- Stuart Gillespie and Philip Hardie, The Cambridge Companion to Lucretius (2007).
- Life of Epicurus by Diogenes Laertius at epicurus.info
- Principal Doctrines (kuriai doxai) of Epicurus at epicurus.info
Middle and Neoplatonism
- Antiochus of Ascalon (SEP)
- Plotinus (SEP)
- Proclus (SEP)
- Bibliography on Proclus (Leuven)
- The Study of Neoplatonism Today (Gerson)
- J. Dillon, The Middle Platonists (1977/1996)
- Adam Kamesar, The Cambridge Companion to Philo (2009)
- L. P. Gerson, The Cambridge Companion to Plotinus (1996)
- L. P. Gerson, The Cambridge History of Philosophy in Late Antiquity (2010): Volume 1, Volume 2 [Online via UBC Library]
- Erik Gunderson, The Cambridge Companion to Ancient Rhetoric
- Marianne McDonald & J. Michael Walton, The Cambridge Companion to Greek and Roman Theatre (2007)
- Stephen Salkever, The Cambridge Companion to Ancient Greek Political Thought (2009)
- R. J. Hankinson, The Cambridge Companion to Galen (2008)
[NB: "SEP" = Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy; "IEP" = Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy].